What If Ocean Water Lost Its Salt SUBSCRIBE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXfT0LLOvDM : Lots of people on certain parts of continents don’t have access to fresh water from rivers or lakes, and this crisis is getting more and more serious each year. Every 7th person on the planet suffers from a lack of access to clean drinkable water right now. And some experts say that as the world population doubles by 2030, that statistic will skyrocket to one-half!
Actually, 97% of all the water on the planet has always been briny, and you can safely assume that it’s this way for a reason. …So magically pushing a button to make it fresh water in this hypothetical situation would be devastating for life on this planet. And here’s why.
Other videos you might like:
What If Megalodon Sharks Didn’t Go Extinct? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xh6pVbaEJTw&
What If You Were the Last Person on Earth https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uGAINMAiL0&
What If You Poured Some Water On The Sun? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GOPAxEBDro
Why the ocean is salty 1:44
Was seawater originally fresh? 3:08
Food chains would be destroyed 4:15
How the climate would change 5:36
Music by Epidemic Sound https://www.epidemicsound.com/
– Rivers constantly bring fresh water to the oceans. You’d think these sources would dilute the sea and decrease the salt content. But in fact, it’s quite the opposite. Water in rivers is also brackish – it’s just 70 times less salty than in the ocean.
– Each year 4 billion tons of salt are carried into the ocean just from rivers alone. If you keep doing that for the billions of years this planet has been in existence, you can imagine how much salt would gather there.
– Sea salt derives from a hydrochloric acid, while river salts are from carbonic acid. More scientists today believe that the oceans have been salty from the start because of volcanic activity.
– The most obvious consequence is that the innumerable forms of marine life can only exist in briny water – they wouldn’t survive in fresh water.
– Without them, we’d lose this source of food, which would have a serious impact on not only the countries that are highly dependent on their fishery sectors, but also those they export to!
– Like animals, algae are capable of feeding on organic material in their environment. Like plants, they take part in photosynthesis. They play a huge role in sustaining life because of this.
– Ocean currents make the climate on earth a lot more tolerable and suitable for living. Take salt from the oceans, and the currents will disappear. Salt water has a much lower freezing temperature too. Without the salt, bigger parts of the oceans would turn to ice during the winter.
– Plus, all that salt would eventually start appearing right back in the oceans! Minerals from the Earth’s crust would start dissolving into the sea again, and oceanic floor vents would also pump minerals into the water.
Subscribe to Bright Side : https://goo.gl/rQTJZz
Our Social Media:
5-Minute Crafts Youtube: https://www.goo.gl/8JVmuC
For more videos and articles visit: