Could We Stop an Asteroid from Hitting Earth? SUBSCRIBE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXfT0LLOvDM : Space has always been a source of fear and fascination for humankind. The secrets it hides and its celestial objects that look like shooting stars mesmerize and intrigue people. However, even modern technology can’t save us from occasional confusion. Asteroids, meteoroids, comets… What’s the difference between these space phenomena? And which of them can be the most threatening to our planet?
Once every several million years, our planet collides with a space body so large that it causes a global planetary catastrophe. Let’s find out about the methods scientists invented to protect Earth if a massive celestial object decides to pay us a visit.
Other videos you might like:
What If Dinosaurs Were Still Alive Today? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeFnH4xux7w&
What If the Moon Disappeared Right Now? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekDV2uHhuCI&
12 Myths You Believe in Thanks to Hollywood https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az0u5VThOhY
The differences between asteroids, meteoroids, and comets 1:07
The impact of meteorites and asteroids 2:33
3 ways to stop an asteroid:
– ARM (Asteroid Redirect Mission) 6:48
– DART (Double Asteroid Redirection Test) 7:28
– DE-STAR mission 8:27
Music by Epidemic Sound https://www.epidemicsound.com/
– Comets are solar system bodies that consist mostly of ice. When they approach the sun, comets leave a trail of ice, rock particles, and dust. Asteroids are sometimes classified as minor planets. This means that their size is pretty impressive, and they orbit the sun. As for meteoroids, they are much smaller than asteroids and can be as tiny as sand particles. They are, in fact, debris drifting in space in orbit around different celestial bodies.
– The largest meteorite known to people is the Hoba meteorite, situated in Namibia, Africa. It was first spotted by a local farmer in 1920. In any case, however big and fast meteorites are, they can’t cause the same damage that Earth can experience if an asteroid were to hit.
– Scientists have found 3 possible solutions for how to stop an asteroid. NASA is currently working on creating the first robotic mission. ARM (Asteroid Redirect Mission) will be connected with the potential threat that asteroids present to our planet. Specialists will gain experience in removing a potential threat to our planet. Secondly, astronauts will return with a sample of an asteroid in the 2020s.
– The DART (Double Asteroid Redirection Test) mission will be the first demonstration to see if people can use the kinetic impact technique to make an asteroid change its course in space. Scientists have already chosen the target: it will be the binary asteroid 65803 Didymos.
– DE-STAR (Directed Energy System for Targeting of Asteroids and exploRation) could potentially destroy asteroids, comets, and other dangerous near-Earth space bodies that pose a high risk of impact. If DE-STAR were created, it would consist of satellites that would gather solar energy and convert it into an array of such powerful lasers that they would be able to disintegrate an asteroid.
Subscribe to Bright Side : https://goo.gl/rQTJZz
Our Social Media:
5-Minute Crafts Youtube: https://www.goo.gl/8JVmuC
For more videos and articles visit: